Last Saturday I had the opportunity to make some cupcakes and donate them to a local cake auction supporting Teen Challenge, a home for troubled young men and women. I was a little short on time so I decided to make cupcakes as opposed to a layer cake. I had been inspired by a pin I saw on Pinterest and knew exactly how I wanted to decorate them (my decorating inspiration was actually used on a layer cake, but it worked on my cupcakes quite nicely as well!!!) They look gorgeous and were really not that hard – you don’t even need any special decorating bags or tips!
I used a Pillsbury white cake mix for my cupcakes. I considered making the cake from scratch, but I figured that a time crunch wasn’t a good time to start experimenting with cake recipes! 🙂
You could use a store-bought frosting if you wish to speed things up, but I chose to make a half batch of my mom’s Almond Butter Cream Icing to frost the cupcakes with. I knew the almond flavor in the icing would be a perfect complement to those almond slices on top!
Berry Almond Flower Cupcakes
Blackberries or Blueberries
Almond Butter Cream Frosting:
1/2 cup Crisco solid vegetable shortening
1 tsp. almond extract
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
1 – 2 Tbsp. milk
- Make cupcakes according to your recipe or box mix directions.
- Wash berries and lay and paper towels to dry.
TO MAKE FROSTING:
- Put shortening and almond and vanilla extracts in mixing bowl. Cream together.
- Add powdered sugar by spoonfuls to mixture.
- Add milk and beat well (I used the wire whip attachment on my stand mixer to acheive a slightly lighter texture.)
- Frost cooled cupcakes (this recipe doesn’t allow for an excessive amount of frosting on each cupcake. If you like more frosting you may want to double the recipe).
- Place a berry in the center of each cupcake.
- Place almond slices around each berry to create a “flower” (as pictured).
You can also use blueberries instead of blackberries like my inspiration pin used. I just chose blackberries because hubby likes them better. 🙂 Super easy and beautiful!