Unfortunately one of the downfalls to having long hair is a continuous supply of clogged shower drains. Yes, I know this is a gross blog topic, but I discovered a great tip that I wanted to share!
Somehow unclogging shower drains has been on my job description since I was young. My two sisters and I shared a shower growing up and we all had A LOT of hair. Ugh. Not fun.
As I was attempting to work on our clogged shower yesterday I knew I needed help so I did what any good housewife would do……I Googled some drain unclogging tips! 🙂 I found some ideas that I’d heard of before but had never tried myself. They ended up working GREAT without using any strong chemicals that may or may not give you a high. ha ha.
- Remove as much hair from the drain as possible by using a straightened coat hanger. (I have done this plenty of times before, but this drain was more complicated because I couldn’t remove the stopper. Still, I was able to get some out.)
- Pour around 1/2 cup of baking soda down the drain.
- Pour a cup or two of vinegar down the drain and let it set for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Boil a pot of water and slowly pour it down the drain. (Be careful carrying the boiling water to your bathroom. My sister accidentally spilled boiling water on her leg when she was young and got a third degree burn. Not good.)
- That should clear the drain, but if you have a super bad clog, you may want to try the plunger method. After all the boiling water slowly went down the drain, I ran hot tap water into the tub and used a plunger over the drain a few times and that finished breaking the clog free! Hallelujah!!!
As Anne of Green Gables would say, this is a super unromantic post, but sometimes these gross things have just got to be done! 🙂